An Apologetic Lesson from Judge Amy Comey Barrett's Confirmation Hearings

Yesterday we witnessed the first day in the Senate Judiciary Committee's hearings on the confirmation of Judge Amy Comey Barrett to the United States Supreme Court. Visions of the previous confirmation hearings of Judge Brett Kavenaugh still lingered in our minds and were as the "elephant in the room" yesterday. Although the Republicans had the votes to confirm Judge Barrett, everyone knew that the confirmation process would not be an easy one. I saw several clips from the hearing yesterday and read reports on some of the news sources I follow. I was not surprised at the attacks upon Judge Barrett. Can you believe that she was actually asked if she had ever committed sexual assault upon another person? Wow! Yet, here is what amazed me. Through the long day yesterday, Judge Barrett maintained her composure. She did not raise her voice. She did not show anger. And she answered the questions asked of her in a civil manner. Furthermore, when asked if she had any notes, she responded that only a blank piece of paper was on the desk in front of her. Friends, what we witnessed yesterday was a powerful picture of a person sharing her worldview, her apologetic, with the world, and not in a friendly setting, but in one of the most hostile anywhere - the United States Senate Judiciary Committee. Why could Judge Barrett respond with such confidence? The answer is very simple. She owned what she believed. Those beliefs were a part of who she is as a person. You could not separate her from her beliefs no matter how vile the attack would be. She did not waver. And, because she owned what she believed, she did not need to engage in argument with those who questioned her. Her worldview is based upon a strong Judeo-Christian foundation. She still has a strong belief that there is an absolute truth that can still speak into our culture. She still believes that the Constitution of the United States is the foundation for determining law, not the current political persuasions of the moment. As I listened to her, I thought of that passage in First Peter that I seek to ingrain within my students in the classes that I teach. Here is what the Apostle Peter wrote to those Christians living in the midst of difficult times in the first century: "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect" (1 Peter 3:15). Did you hear what Peter was saying? A Christian needs to own what he or she believes. Notice, Peter did not say that we should just regurgitate what someone else has told us. What we have been told or read may become part of our belief system, but it must be thought through carefully and prayerfully until we own those beliefs. You see, friends, if all I can share with you is what I have been told or what I have read, and you ask me "Why?," then I have no answer. And, when we don't know, one of two things can happen: either I become incredibly defensive, which usually leads to an argument, or I become passive, which can lead to being persuaded in another direction. So how does one become owner of his or her beliefs? First of all, it takes a plan, and that plan is predicated upon this question: what are those truths to which I most want to be committed? Using myself as an example: I wanted to be grounded to answer questions regarding the authority of Scripture and defending the creation narrative. What I found when I began those preparations, was that I was also led to addressing the question of who God is. The plan continues with purposeful reading and study. Books. YouTube videos. News articles. Scripture saturation. In the areas I mentioned above, I read from several different sources who had different ideas. This diverse reading will help you to better articulate what you do believe. I rememmber a pastoral colleague stating, "Every year I read at least one or two books that I know I will strongly disagree with. I do so to help me better define what I do believe." Second, when all this is done - and you will find that you will continue your studies - you begin to process what you have read and heard. As I like to tell people, it all goes into the "great stew pot" in your mind and begins to "cook slowly." Friends, it takes time to create ownership of what you believe. Judge Barrett has spent years cultivating her beliefs in the judicial system. Patience is usually not a virtue many of us possess, but it is imperatively important if one is to own one's beliefs. Finally, practice with a friend. In the classes we teach on apologetics and worldview, we allow students to have the opportunity of practicing their beliefs on each other. It is much easier to do it with friends and to gain confidence. Then you can graduate to the world out there. Finally, the Apostle Peter challenges us to share our beliefs with gentleness and respect. Again, Judge Barrett modeled that yesterday. I believe she showed tremendous respect to the Senators who questioned her, even though many of them showed a lack of respect toward her. We are to do the same. God does not want us to engage in debate, but in a civil dialogue with those around us. We are to engage in conversations, not in verbal combat. This will happen when we own what we believe. If you have not claimed that ownership, I would challenge you to begin today. It is part of being "salt and light" in our world today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decision and Its Unintended Consequences

Israeli Politics; The Ripples from the Coronavirus Increase

Cancel Culture - Its Impact; Can It Be Stopped?